Key Stages 3 & 4 at Mougins School
Key stages 3 and 4 are taught throughout the secondary school years.
At this stage in their education, students are becoming more confident and responsible for their own learning. During Key Stage 3 they begin to study core subjects in more depth and detail before making their IGCSE choices ready for Key Stage 4.
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 3 is made up of Years 7-9, and is the moment at which pupils begin to study individual subjects in more detail.
Secondary subjects in Years 7-9 are:
- Computer Science and ICT
- Drama (starting from Year 7)
- Spanish (starting from Year 8)
- Global perspectives
- Positive education
The fundamental educational principles of Key Stage 3 are to:
- Guide pupils from one-teacher learning towards subject-specialist learning
- Introduce them to as wide a range of subjects, educational experiences and teaching methodologies as possible
- Encourage their intellectual and emotional growth and foster independence, organisation, self-reliance and resilience, and most of all intellectual engagement, curiosity and an excitement in learning
- Prepare pupils to make well-informed IGCSE subject choices
Global Perspectives programme
Key Stage 4
Key Stage 4 covers Years 10 and 11, when pupils are preparing for their IGCSE examinations. At Mougins School most pupils take a minimum of 8 subjects at IGCSE, made up of a combination of compulsory and elective subjects.
Compulsory subjects are:
- Double Science
- Core PE
Elective subjects include:
- Business studies
- Computer science
We're really proud of the Local Studies/Global Perspectives programme at Mougins School as it gives our students the opportunity to develop a range of skills while exploring the geography, history and culture of our beautiful local area.
Head of Humanities.